Add To Favorites In PHR
Untreated water is drinking water that has not been chemically treated, filtered, or boiled to eliminate infectious bacteria, viruses, and parasites (such as Giardia lamblia). These organisms can cause diarrhea and illness.
Many infections that result from drinking untreated water go away by themselves after a few days, but some require treatment.
Current as of: March 3, 2017
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review: William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine & H. Michael O'Connor, MD, MMEd, FRCPC - Emergency Medicine
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2017 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
print close directions