Post a message

Help for brother who is mentally ill

Author: olivia chavira (San Bernardino)
Posted: 07/09/2006 @ 8:38 am
My brother is 36 and lives with my mom and dad. He has been diagnosed with shizophrenia and I believe takes street drugs. My parents are getting old and have health issues that I am worried about. I am afraid to go over my parents house for fear of what my brother may do. What can I do to help? WHo can I refer my parents to contact for help. They will not throw him out on the street but I believe he is getting more violent and sick. He lives in Barstow California 92311. Any suggestions/help will be greatly appreciated.
Author: JJ Holoubek (San Bernardino)
Posted: 07/10/2006 @ 11:26 pm
Hello, Olivia --

Thank you for writing. Here is a list of counseling and mental health-related agencies in Barstow and the surrounding area listed in the Network of Care's San Bernardino County Mental Health Service Directory that may be of assistance:

Barstow Counseling & Mental Health Center

High Desert Mental Health Center | Oasis Counseling Centers

Victor Valley Behavioral Health Center

San Bernardino County Department of Behavioral Health

Adult Protective Services: Barstow, County of San Bernardino

If you have any other questions or comments about Network of Care, please don’t hesitate to share them.

Have a great day,
JJ Holoubek
Network of Care
Author: Anonymous (Placer)
Posted: 07/10/2006 @ 3:47 pm
I also have a mentally ill brother who has been in and out of the system since he was a teenager. For the past 5 years or so he has been living in a subsidized apartment and holding down a job. He has had multiple diagnoses including schizophrenia and has been violent on numerous occasions. Unfortunately if he doesn't want help on his own, the only way he is likely to get it is if he has a violent episode and can be put on a 51/50 hold in a psychiatric facility.

I know, given his history, that this period of relative stability will not last forever and my mother, who has been there for his crises, is also aging and will not be there for him forever which will leave it to me to deal with in the future and I can tell you that it's not easy.

One of the best resources I can suggest is your local NAMI chapter -- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill. It's a support group of family members and patients, and great for sharing resources and information.

Good luck. It's not an easy road but there are resources and people out there who have been down it and can help. Don't be afraid to find them.

Driving Walking/Biking Public Transit  Get Directions